Covering labor, tech, the Bay Area, feminism, racism, and activism.
Book reviews, movie reviews, comics reviews, television reviews (primarily sci-fi/fantasy/horror). Diversity and representation, and the double-edged sword of being a POC writer. I also write fiction and plays, and I frequently talk about submissions and rejections and how to deal with that process.
- Book Review: A Darker Shade of Magic (Lightspeed)
- Smugglivus 2014 Guest Author and Reviewer: Sunil Patel (The Book Smugglers)
- Personal Website
Author of 2 memoirs: The Nigerian-Nordic Girl’s Guide to Lady Problems (Shebooks) and Meeting Faith (W.W. Norton & Co.),
Co-editor of Coming of Age Around the World: A Multicultural Anthology (The New Press)
Writer / Narrator / Subject of the PBS documentary My Journey Home,
- Faith Adiele: My Life in Black and White (YES! Magazine)
- Career Guide: 5 Women To Learn From (Marie Claire)
- Best Women's Travel Writing (Travelers' Tales)
- 'Meeting Faith': A Buddhist Nun's Journey Home (NPR)
- Americanah: A Novel (Los Angeles Public Library)
- Personal Website
I wrote a book: Write This Second, available on Amazon.
- writethissec.com (Write This Sec)
I love writing longform features, op-eds and profiles.
- Naturalized (San Francisco Chronicle)
- Castlemont High School students cope with stress and violence (Oakland Tribune)
- Weathering childhood: Stressors that jeopardize teen health (Oakland Tribune)
- Surviving and thriving: What works to make teens stronger, more resilient (Oakland Tribune)
- No Retrofit: Marquis Woolfolk’s Life Should’ve Been Different (Oakland Tribune)
- California’s Future Demands Bigger Investment in Schools (SFGate)
- Teaching in an Oakland School Fills Her with Dread and Delight (SFGate)
Evan has an MFA in Poetry from the City College of New York, and he is a Cave Canem Fellow. He works as a copywriter at a digital advertising agency in San Franciso. He’s currently at work on a book of short stories titled “Love & Money.”
Evan loves a well-structured story, well-told. His idea of a good time is to watch back-to-back Godard movies while playing chess and listening to the roots.
- evanburtoncreative.com (Evan Burton Creative)
- "Call Allen" Offers a Poetry Intervention for San Franciscans (7x7)